April 21, 2011

Good Friday: An Earth Day Testimony

Two years ago my birthday fell on Good Friday, and let's just be honest:  it was awkward being happy. How in the world could I fully enjoy celebrating my birthday on the day that my Lord gave his life for mine? This year Earth Day falls on the same day as Good Friday. Signs celebrating Earth Day are everywhere, and every one of them makes me a little sad. As much as I think we should care for our earth, I just wish the giant banners were marking Good Friday.

I wonder if anyone realizes the ultimate Earth Day was the original Good Friday.  Look what happened in Matthew 27:51-54...
At that moment the curtain of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom. The earth shook, the rocks split and the tombs broke open. The bodies of many holy people who had died were raised to life. They came out of the tombs after Jesus’ resurrection and went into the holy city and appeared to many people. When the centurion and those with him who were guarding Jesus saw the earthquake and all that had happened, they were terrified, and exclaimed, “Surely he was the Son of God!”
Did you catch that?  When the guards saw the earth quake, rocks split, and tombs break open, they believed!!!  The earth shared a testimony that pointed directly to the glory of God!
May we speak about the Creator as boldly as the earth did that day! 
And may those who hear us believe!

1 comment:

Steve said...

I love it Alicia. Have you ever heard the song "Was It A Morning Like This" by Sandi Patty? Your post reminded me of it. I'll have to look through my old cassettes and try and find it now!

She talks about a similar scene on Sunday--notice the chorus...


Was it a morning like this
When the Son still hid from Jerusalem?
And Mary rose from her bed
To tend the Lord She thought was dead

What is a morning like this,
When Mary walked down from Jerusalem?
And two angels stood at the tomb,
Bearers of news she would hear soon.

Did the grass sing?
Did the earth rejoice
To feel you again?
Over and over like a
Trumpet underground,
Did the earth seem to pound:
“He is risen” “He is risen”


I love it! He is risen, indeed!

Blessings,

Steve