January 9, 2012

New Wii Rules (Say that 3 times fast!)

Today I established new Wii rules in the home.  I've been meaning to for a while, but this morning's events necessitated I implement them immediately.  The one clear cut rule we have had is no electronics before school, and the kids broke it this morning.  Things have been a little wonky with the Christmas holidays, so I didn't punish them beyond making them get off immediately.  [Although since I came up with our "new" Wii rules while they ate breakfast, they may consider it a punishment!]

Disclaimer:  The purpose of these Wii rules is for boundary setting, not extreme limiting.   Our Wii rules are going to sound very generous.  It's not as much the time I am concerned about as actually wanting to teach my children to get on and off the Wii when I tell them.

Our new rules:  

1)  3 hours a day for ALL electronics (Wii, computer, and tv)
2)  Each child gets 6 30-min increments.  Use it or lose it.
3)  Back to back increments are not allowed to be used on the Wii.

Electronics time that doesn't count against them:  School work on the computer and CF Vest treatment

Adding this rule tomorrow (because I didn't think about it when I wrote the rules today):

4)  If I get any sort of disrespect when I notify them of the end of the 30 minutes they lose another increment.

So far it's working as well as you can expect the first day of new rules to go.  Samantha made it 20 minutes into her first Wii span, and then got distracted.  She wanted to be able to use up the other 10 minutes later, but I'm not doing that (see #2).  That's actually part of my plan for creating 30 minute increments.   She has only used up that 1 chunk.  Timothy has already used up 4 of his 6 chunks (1 hour on Wii, 30 min on computer, and 30 min on tv).  He's going to have a rude awakening pretty soon, but it won't be my problem!

4 comments:

The Navy Christian said...

Thank you for working so hard on that. I will help all I can!

Christi said...

Love it! Yay Mama!

Sherry said...

Sounds like a good plan to me. :)

Stephanie Kay said...

3 hours a day?! My kids would think they had died and gone to screen heaven. I had to re-institute a no screens rule except on the weekend (Fri-Sun). I just get too much attitude when they watch tv and play wii. Seriously, after playing for an hour Ben will pitch a fit when I tell him to turn it off. The only exception to the No Screens Rule is if Ben wakes up with a dry pull-up HE gets 30 minutes to play Wii and everyone else can watch him.

It's tough to enforce the rule right now because they can't play outside. But that's why we have a house full of toys and books, right? :)