February 21, 2011

Kick Off to Great Strides 2011

This is Alicia speaking on behalf of Team Sam for Great Strides 2011:

I am 37 years old.

In most families, other milestones like “sweet 16” and “over the hill 50” are important markers. But in our family, the number 37 never leaves the forefront of our mind. Why?

The median predicted age of survival for those with Cystic Fibrosis is 37.

Samantha’s median age life expectancy is the age I am right now.

My cousin died of Cystic Fibrosis at 2 months old. In the span of one generation, research has come so far that the life expectancy is now 37. As wonderful as that is, I know what 37 years feels like and I do not feel like I am at the end of my life. In many ways, it is just beginning.

When Samantha reaches age 37, I want her to feel the same way!

From now on, when you hear the number 37, I want you to remember Samantha who spends hours a day taking medicines and doing treatments so that she can extend her life little by little. You can help her and the 30,000 other Americans with this disease by giving to our Great Strides fundraiser!

In a little twist to our Great Strides fundraising and in honor of the age 37, I am asking that you donate $37. Obviously, we will accept any dollar amount, but as a reminder of this age and what it means to Samantha’s life, I am asking for a specific number this year! This money will go towards finding new medicines and new treatments that improve each CFer’s daily life and extend this median life expectancy. Do you have $37? It will not be wasted!

To donate right now, click on the following link:

LIVING BEYOND AGE 37

Any donation will be appreciated!

For more info about Samantha's Cystic Fibrosis, visit our CF Blog, Great Strides for Team Sam!

1 comment:

Marc and Charity said...

Girl, this post moved me. I had no idea it was 37 yrs of age.