March 10, 2008

AWANA Grand Prix

I got an email last night from a friend of mine saying her kids are having so much fun painting their cars for the race this Wed. I'm thinking...race, what race? We missed AWANA last week from sickness, but we've been there otherwise. How did I not hear about it? Then I went through a stack of mail to find the AWANA newsletter which announced the Grand Prix, and yes of course it's also been on the ONLINE calendar that I can access at any time. Sometimes I just HAVE to wonder what God was thinking blessing me with children. These poor kids.

So I called the church this morning and they are still selling kits, so I drove by the church and bought one. But seriously, how helpful is a block of wood and wheels going to be when I don't have a saw or any ability to create a car from a rectangle of wood? I emailed a request to my MOPS world and any other mom I know because I am convinced someone has already had to do this for AWANA or Boy Scouts some other year, and surely we could borrow their car for the night! As the hours passed by this morning with no hopes to cure my car woes, I really started to panic (all inside my head of course). Just a taste of the insanity was: Timothy will know a block of wood is not a car, he'll be mad we don't paint it right, if we borrow someone's he won't want to give it back, when we get there Wed night he'll want everyone's cars, the huge sensory input at the race will push him over the edge, he'll go nuts when he doesn't win, on and on.

And somehow through the CRAZY going on inside my head, the Spirit said, "This isn't what I had planned for your day." Oh, yeah, that doesn't sound like something the Creator of the Universe would want for me. Not that He's so big He doesn't care about my small stuff, but that He created my mind to BE ABLE to think higher thoughts. Philippians 4:6-8 was so calming to read today. So I'm making a choice. My mind still wants to dwell on it, but I am choosing to think about my Lord. He loves me, loves Timothy, and whatever happens happens. I have also resisted the temptation to avoid the race. That would solve the worrying, but it wouldn't solve the continual lesson I need to learn of depending on God no matter what is going on.

1 comment:

Stephanie Kay said...

Boy do I understand crazy in the head! I'm guessing that Dan is "under way?" Is that even the correct terminology? I could off up ideas and suggestions but I'm guessing you've already thought of those. You children will survive and next year you already have the supplies to make a car. = )