September 4, 2009

1 Listen, my sons, to a father's instruction;
pay attention and gain understanding.

2 I give you sound learning,
so do not forsake my teaching.

3 When I was a boy in my father's house,
still tender, and an only child of my mother,

4 he taught me and said,
"Lay hold of my words with all your heart;
keep my commands and you will live.

5 Get wisdom, get understanding;
do not forget my words or swerve from them.

6 Do not forsake wisdom, and she will protect you;
love her, and she will watch over you.

7 Wisdom is supreme; therefore get wisdom.
Though it cost all you have, get understanding.

8 Esteem her, and she will exalt you;
embrace her, and she will honor you.

9 She will set a garland of grace on your head
and present you with a crown of splendor."

I love that he just told his own son what his father said to him as a boy!

10 Listen, my son, accept what I say,
and the years of your life will be many.

11 I guide you in the way of wisdom
and lead you along straight paths.

12 When you walk, your steps will not be hampered;
when you run, you will not stumble.

I keep thinking about my own personal fears in life and how if I "heeded" wisdom and instruction so many of those things that I worry about would not even be issues.

23 Above all else, guard your heart,
for it is the wellspring of life.

24 Put away perversity from your mouth;
keep corrupt talk far from your lips.

25 Let your eyes look straight ahead,
fix your gaze directly before you.

26 Make level paths for your feet
and take only ways that are firm.

27 Do not swerve to the right or the left;
keep your foot from evil.

Verses 23 through 27 seem like this perfect set of instructions. I love it.

2 comments:

The Navy Christian said...

Great thoughts Alicia. I wonder how much more productive and fulfilled I'd be if I could just keep myself from swerving to the right or the left. Interesting thoughts...

Candice said...

What a beautiful picture of King David! He was a King to most but to Solomon he was dad. Can you just invision David sitting in the room with Bethsheba and Solomon. Solomon sitting on his lap. Maybe playing with a little toy! David pouring his heart out to him in love. Where have these daddies gone?

vs 17- They eat the bread of wickendness and drink the wine of violence.

What a contrast to "this is my body broken for you, this is my blood poured out for you." I'm eating and drinking! Which one am I choosing to feast on?

vs 23-27 Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life. Put away perversity from your mouth; keep corrupt talk far from your lips. Let your eyes look straight aheard, fix your gaze directly before you. Make level paths for your feet and take only ways that are firm. Do not swerve to the right or the left; keep your foot from evil.

In David's Psalm 16:8 he says "I set the Lord always before me, with Him at my right hand I will not be shaken." The "before" you is to be the Lord. If we have our eyes fixed on Jesus we will not be shaken nor moved to the left or right.
This is sometimes easier said then done especially when temptation is so strong.
Dan, I have the picture in my mind of the Marines guarding our land. They are fully armed, awake, and ready. They are searching the land with binoculars to intercept the enemy while he is a ways off. I see the verse about guarding our hearts in the same way. We must be armed (with the word), awake!, and ready (to use the word). He has given us every good thing to fight the enemy. Again, easier said than done! But if our eyes are set on Him, absolute intense focus, we will not be shaken! What a promise.

Father, we thank you and praise your word. You have given us promise, hope, blessing, and consequences. You tenderly love us and guide us as David did with Solomon. Give me the desire to sit in your lap and listen to your words of wisdom. They will guide my ways. Teach me "Abba, Father". Our earthly father's have failed miserably. May I not confuse you. Glory and praise to your name! Amen