September 2, 2009

Proverbs 2

6 For the LORD gives wisdom,
and from his mouth come knowledge and understanding.

No reason to look anywhere else. It is the Lord who gives wisdom!

8 for he guards the course of the just
and protects the way of his faithful ones.

This is so amazing to me. There are times when I have chosen to be obedient, but honestly didn't have a clue what was going to happen or how it was going to work out--God was guarding my course, my path! So awesome!

16 It will save you also from the adulteress,
from the wayward wife with her seductive words,

17 who has left the partner of her youth
and ignored the covenant she made before God.

Remember here that Solomon's own mother falls into this category.

Lord, I'm feeling like there is so much for me to remember and keep track of in order to be wise. Please just help me look to you and delight in you instead of worrying about the checklist.

4 comments:

The Navy Christian said...

Wow, Alicia, thanks for pointing out that Solomon's own mom fell into some of these traps! I guess he could lean on some personal example when writing, huh?

Candice said...

Today I find the proverb to be very self explanitory.

I do question that Bethsheba was a wayward wife. She was actually taking a bath in the evening when David watched her. She was following the orders of King David when she went to him. I do wonder if her "fear of the king" led her to obey him by sleeping with him. To have denied him could have cost her her life. To obey cost her husbands! Just think about it for a minute, this same David, was a man after God's own heart! Praise the Lord he forgives and loves us still. Either way the Lord blesses even when we screw up His plans. I am in now way implying that Alicia's thoughts are incorrect. It is probably a little of both! Just a thought.

Lord, teach us your ways. Give us wisdom, understanding, insight, knowledge, and discretion. All those wonderful gifts you give in order to keep us safe and on the right path! Amen.

Natasha said...

I loved todya's proverb. Especially the beginning (as I stated on my blog). Candice, I know that we do not know each other but your comments made me think. I had not every really thought about the fear that Bathsheba must have faced but I also know that God has called us to trust Him for protection despite the circumstances we see. This brings to mind Daniel and the lion's den.
It is not my place to judge others only to look at their stories and learn from them.
My prayer is that when I am faced with some sort of decision that forces me to choose between God's way and the world, He will give me the strength to trust in Him.
And then praise God that He can always use our mistakes for His purposes!!

Alicia said...

Candice, I totally see what you are saying. There is no evidence that Bathsheba used "seductive words". I think I saw "left the partner of her youth", and it made me think of her. There is no way to know what incredible pressure was on her to submit to the king. I know I sin with much less external pressure.