July 14, 2008

What Guidance is Not

I think I'll post some things going on currently! Our pastor finished up a 3 week sermon series on the Holy Spirit yesterday. Our pastor is awesome, and I should post his stuff more often, but one part of his sermon really struck me. Before he discussed what the Holy Spirit's Guidance is, he explained what it is not. So as not to copy his entire sermon, I want to focus on one of his points...

Guidance is Not "Insider Information". How often do I seek God's guidance when I'm NOT facing trouble or a difficult situation? [It hit me that often real "guidance" is used for big decisions: what car to buy, church to attend, job to get, area to live.] He proposed that we ask for guidance for the growth of your soul. That means asking questions like the following...
  1. How do I become a more truthful person?
  2. Whom do I know who can teach me to pray in a way that will nourish my soul?
  3. What practices will enable me to live in joy continually?
It just got me thinking the Holy Spirit has so much more He wants to guide me in than the circumstances of my life!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wow very interesting!! thanks for that and feel free to copy his sermon - LOL