November 11, 2008

Veteran's Day


Timothy and his classmates were carrying these when they left school today. In the middle are the lyrics of a song the kids learned:

VETERANS DAY SONG

For freedom is precious
We love it, and we need it!
We would like to thank our veterans
For keeping us free!

The National Guard, the Army,
The Air Force and the Navy,
And the Coast Guard,
And forever the Marines!

Timothy was showing it to me, and after he read the song he said, "I'm going to give it to my dad." I don't know if his teacher told the kids to thank a veteran or not, but I'm glad Timothy thought of his dad.

Dan, I know you're not far, but since you're not here and I don't know where you are it feels far. I don't ever take the time to tell you, so today is a good time to thank you for serving my country. You are a veteran in the truest sense of the word (I just read it to make sure!) Your career of over 12 years has both peace time service and war time service to include the gulf. I know it doesn't feel heroic, but nonetheless our country states that "Veterans Day is a day to honor all Americans who have served in the U.S. military, both during wartime and in peace". Since you're the one that Timothy and I know best, we say thanks!

Click here for the President's Veterans Day Proclamation.

3 comments:

The Navy Christian said...

Alicia,
You just made my day. It's past midnight here, so it just turned Veteran's Day, and what a wonderful way to start it! I wanted to write to tell you that I love you and the kids very much. You and the kids are the best thing that has ever happened to me. I love you.
Dan

Stephanie Kay said...

Thank you to your whole family! We appreciate the sacrifices you have made (separations, moves, low pay)so our family can be safe. We love y'all!!

Christi said...

To the whole Smith family...
We love you and we appreciate your service and sacrifice. Thank you!!! We continue to pray for Dan's safety and you, Alicia, and the kids as he is away. We love all four of you!