August 14, 2009

Proverbs 14

Verse 1-The wise woman builds her house, but with her own hands the foolish one tears hers down. Sometimes I get into a whiny mode of "needing" Dan to be the perfect leader of our home (or not deployed) for everything to go right. I can use that as an excuse for my responsibility. This verse shows the power that a woman's actions have on her home, to either build it or tear it down "with her OWN hands".

Verse 2-He whose walk is upright fears the LORD, but he whose ways are devious despises him. I couldn't help but see the irony here. Usually someone would be afraid because they have done something they don't want the Lord to find out (i.e. Adam & Eve), but this says those who are pure fear the Lord. This is with reverence and respect, not worry that some secret sin will be found out.

Verse 8-The wisdom of the prudent is to give thought to their ways, but the folly of fools is deception. I love that phrase "give thought to their ways". That means even once they are doing something, they reevaluate it to see what's working or not working.

Verse 9-Fools mock at making amends for sin, but goodwill is found among the upright. Since the word "mock" is in the Proverbs repeatedly, I finally looked up the definition in Webster's. The 1st one is what I think of usually which is "to treat with contempt or ridicule", but the 2nd one is not quite so obvious..."disappoint the hopes of". I wonder how many times I have done that. It would surely be foolish to advise someone not to make amends, but from this point on in Proverbs I'm going to start reading "mock" as "disappointing the hopes of".

Verse 12-There is a way that seems right to a man, but in the end it leads to death. I've heard this verse my whole life, but in recent years I've really seen its affects. I've seen how small decisions that we think are right can set us on a tragic course. May the Holy Spirit open our eyes to accept Godly counsel, read the truth of God's word, and fellowship with the wise.

Verse 13-Even in laughter the heart may ache, and joy may end in grief. Boy, isn't that true?

Verse 26-He who fears the LORD has a secure fortress, and for his children it will be a refuge. I so want my children to have a refuge.

Verse 30-A heart at peace gives life to the body, but envy rots the bones. I have had some times lately (getting worse with age, I think) where I have REALLY WANTED something that someone else has. It's an awful, sick feeling, and definitely affects me physically. I love that "bones" is used here, depicting that it goes down to the core and affects the body's entire infrastructure.

Verse 33-Wisdom reposes in the heart of the discerning and even among fools she lets herself be known. Reposes means to lie at rest, lie dead, or remain still. I love that wisdom just STAYS in those who are discerning. She is a constant companion, constant guide. And there are even times when a fool can recognize or display some, but that will be fleeting.

I have to say as I go into this weekend, I have clung to the Proverbs this week. With Dan gone, my mind has been in a constant battle. I have definitely felt spiritual warfare, and I don't know what I would have done had I not been reading these. I'm so grateful for God's word and feel sad to think how many times I don't read it or ignore what it says altogether.

3 comments:

Katelyn said...

"A heart at peace gives life to the body, but envy rots the bones." Proverbs 14:30

Amen! I can so often tell when I begin to desire too greatly what my neighbor has. My mood changes and I feel as if joy escapes me. Great post; thanks for sharing!

Candice said...

Vs 8- The wisdom of the prudent is to give thought to their ways, but the folly of fools is deception.

Boy, how many times have I deceived people to go along with my plans that I haven't thought out. Even now I am paying the price. Which leads me to...

Vs 12- There is a way that seems right to a man, but in the end it leads to death.

Recently I have made some choices that I didn't think out in wisdom nor with the Lord's help. It seemed right at the time. Maybe I should say it seemed like the only option. Now I am really wondering if it will end in death. Which leads to...

Vs 13- Even in laughter the heart may ache, and joy may end in grief.

Things aren't always what they seem. Both extemes can live in the heart at the same time. Leaving us very confused!!!

Lord, may I begin thinking about my choices. May I actually depend on Your wisdom as to what is right. My heart is so deceiving! Help me to not choose the deceptive ways of my heart nor deceive others into going along with my deceptive choices. Amen

Sharon said...

v. 13 "Even in laughter the heart may ache" is hitting home for me lately! As I have scheduled comedy commitments approaching, I'm struggling as my heart aches in dealing with our current employment stresses. I'm reminded that in my weakness, HE is strong -- and may HE be glorified through it ALL! I'll be leaning on HIM for sure.