August 20, 2009

Proverbs 20

6 Many a man claims to have unfailing love,
but a faithful man who can find?

Let's make sure we read "man" in a gender neutral sense.

19 A gossip betrays a confidence;
so avoid a man who talks too much.

As I'm going through the Proverbs I'm realizing that A) I'm a gossip B) That I really don't know what to do in settings where I'm listening to someone else say something about someone else. Do any of you have some suggestions of ways to kindly diffuse gossip? I would love all the tips I can get.

22 Do not say, "I'll pay you back for this wrong!"
Wait for the LORD, and he will deliver you.

This reminded me of Romans 12:19-20. Do not take revenge, my friends, but leave room for God's wrath, for it is written: "It is mine to avenge; I will repay," says the Lord. On the contrary: "If your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink. In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head." And that is quoting Proverbs 25:21-22.

24 A man's steps are directed by the LORD.
How then can anyone understand his own way?

And why do we so desperately feel like we need to?

5 comments:

Katelyn said...

I loved this entry! As for the gossip, I too struggle with talking just to talk and it some how ends up talking about somebody. I found out that if I verbally say, "I'm don't want to talk about this anymore" or I say "Let's move on... shall we?" it seems to make the gossip diffuse. If it doesn't then I just end up walking away and creating something for me to do. Does it always work? No, but I think it's better than nothing I suppose.

As for the verse about God exacting vengence.... it is so true! I so often want to glare, be angry or whatever but I remember to heap burning coals of kindness and that gives me a sick form of pleasure. I try my best to make it genuine and I eventually find myself being nice to that person out of habit, not because of whatever, even if I still can't stand the sight of them. It's interesting how God can change our hearts!

Stephanie said...

My best friend and I decided that if we see the other one headed down the gossiping path, we cut in and ask "so what are you thankful for?" Kind of our code word to take stock of our mouth and a good direction shift since my gossip tends to be of the complaining sort!

Alicia said...

Katelyn and Stephanie, Thank you!!! You have already helped me so much!

Candice said...

Stephanie, I love that "so what are you thankful for" idea! Thanks for sharing that!

vs 9- Who can say, "I have kept my heart pure; I am clean and without sin"?

A great reminder that we are all fallen! Yes, even me!

vs 10- Differing weights and differing measures-the Lord detests them both.

Today I was thinking about how I measure people with different standards. I will judge someone I don't like differently than someone I do like. The Lord detests that!

vs 22- Do not say, "I'll pay you back for this wrong!" Wait for the Lord, and he will deliver you.

Very interesting that he doesn't say "I will avenge you!" He says "wait and I will deliver you." He will deliver us from the wrong that was done to us. Revenge makes us equal to the offender but deliverance sets us free!

vs 25- It is a trap for a man to dedicate somthing rashly and only later to consider his vows.

Boy do I tend to rush into vows! I don't take the time to really pray and seek counsel. And I will be the first to admit that I have gotten into a few traps!

Lord, I thank you that you forgive me. That in your love you saved me while I was still in my sin. May my measurement of man be with the reality that we are both fallen. The only true scale is yours.When I am wronged may I wait on Your deliverance. Whom you set free is free indeed! In all of your word I am learning that I need to sit in wait of you. To look to you in all things. In all my ways I need to see your way. Show me! Amen

Alicia said...

Candice, I love your thought on verse 22. Deliverance is being set free! It's being healed and made whole no matter what's been done to us! I love this.