August 27, 2009

Proverbs 27

1 Do not boast about tomorrow,
for you do not know what a day may bring forth.

So many times I have been very excited about the next day or coming weeks, only to discover my plans don't turn out the way I expected them to. In fact, I'm dealing with that right now, so I'm very thankful this reminder to just wait and see what the Lord is going to do.

5 Better is open rebuke
than hidden love.

6 Wounds from a friend can be trusted,
but an enemy multiplies kisses.

These verses are very difficult for me. I really want my friendships to be nice and positive. I don't want to deal with the negative stuff, or admit that I have real issues that my friends need to call me on.

10 Do not forsake your friend and the friend of your father,
and do not go to your brother's house when disaster strikes you—
better a neighbor nearby than a brother far away.

This is a good verse for us military families to hear!

12 The prudent see danger and take refuge,
but the simple keep going and suffer for it.

This is so true!!

15 A quarrelsome wife is like
a constant dripping on a rainy day;

16 restraining her is like restraining the wind
or grasping oil with the hand.

I love the additional picture in verse 16 of trying to deal with a quarrelsome wife!

17 As iron sharpens iron,
so one man sharpens another.

I have been so sharpened by my friends taking part in this Proverbs study. Thank you so much!

21 The crucible for silver and the furnace for gold,
but man is tested by the praise he receives.

Wow! How do I start acting once I receive a little praise?

2 comments:

Natasha said...

I like verse 12. So many times we think that we can be around sin and not commit the sin. Like me, going to the mall and thinking I will not buy anything but really, maybe I should just not go if I cannot keep from spending too much! Thanks for sharing. I did post again today!

Candice said...

vs 2-Let another praise you, and not your own mouth; someone else, and not your own lips.

But I just want someone to notice. Maybe if I point it out people will realize how wonderful I am. So the God does say I am not to point out my own good deeds. He who is in secret see's them! Who do I really crave praise from?

vs 3- Stone is heavy and sand a burden, but provocaton by a fool is heavier than both.

How many times have I been provoced by a "fool" and stooped right on down and became a fool myself! Urgh! This is a hard one on self control!

vs 5-6 You wrote them so I won't. This is hard! It is in me so much of the time to be quick to be offended when rebuked or corrected. As we saw another day "it is to a wise man's glory to overlook an offense." Wisdom sure does kill self centeredness, huh!

vs -10 Again, you wrote these out about friends. I am seeing that friends are crucial. Thinking about when Jesus said his true family were those who followed and believed in him. Our true family is not necessarily those with the same DNA. Okay, I see you thinking "praise the Lord!"!! We need to not judge our family members no matter how tough it is. I have to remember I too am a SINNER saved by grace.

vs 21- Again, you posted this. About being tested by praise from men. Wow! Do I take praise and reflect it onto the rightful owner or I do I take it all in with pride? We all know I typically take it in with pride. That is a test! Do I truly give God ALL the glory?

vs 23-27- Very long so I won't post. I need to be very mindful of my earthly possessions. Moreso my job and money. Am I careful in my dealings. How is my work performance? Do I work hard so my job is never at risk? Am I wisely spending and saving my money for times of trouble? Only if I'm cautious will I have enough to sustain my family and servants! Okay, so I don't have any servants, but if I did, they would be taken care of if I use the wisdom of the Lord!

I don't know why I'm in such a frisky mood! Feeling kind of jokey!

Lord, I praise and thank you! You are a wonderful God! You share your wisdom with us. Father, you are the author of life, love, friends, and family. I thank you for my family you have given me. I thank you for a joyful heart. You are almighty and right in your judgements. Cleanse us and purify us as gold that we would be able to stand under your judgement. Amen