August 10, 2009

Proverbs Chapter 10

Before I discuss Chapter 10, I want to give a brief outline of the book of Proverbs taken straight from my Bible:
  • Prologue: Purpose and Theme (1:1-7)
  • The Superiority of the Way of Wisdom (1:8-9:18)
  • The Main Collection of Solomon's Proverbs (10:1-22:16)
  • The Thirty Sayings of the Wise (22:17-24:22)
  • Additional Sayings of the Wise (24:23-34)
  • Hezekiah's Collection of Solomon's Proverbs (25-29)
  • The Sayings of Agur (30)
  • The Sayings of King Lemuel (31:1-9)
  • Epilogue: The Ideal Wife (31:10-31)
Each verse is a different Proverb, and since Chapter 10 has 32 verses, that's a lot of information! I'm going to be as brief as possible, but this is why I want any of you reading Proverbs to share your thoughts as well. We'll all have unique things that speak to each of us.

Connecting OT with the NT. Romans 6:23 may be a familiar verse to you: But the wages (income) of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. Proverbs 10:16 says: The wages of the righteous bring them life, but the income of the wicked brings them punishment.

"Chattering fool comes to ruin"-this phrase is repeated in verses 8, 10, 14, 18, & 19. Wow! I think Solomon really wanted to get the point across that nothing good can come from being a chattering fool! This whole chapter dealt with the mouth, and it's always best to err on the side of not speaking. Look at 10:15 (SO convicting!): When words are many, sin is NOT absent, but he who holds his tongue is wise.

Wise People Work Hard! Proverbs 10:5 says: He who gathers crops in summer is a wise son, but he who sleeps during harvest is a disgraceful son. I think sometimes I have this notion that a wise person oversees what everyone else is doing and spouts amazing truths for everyone to know. But according to this scripture, wise people work when the work has to happen! That means not even on our own time schedule, but when the seasons and the moment call for it!

What did you learn from Proverbs 10?

3 comments:

Katelyn said...

Great post! I so often have to work on holding my tongue because I'm such a chatterbox... especially when I am nervous!

Natasha said...

Thanks for your thoughts. Keith & I were just talking last night about talking too much to the little ones... "monologuing" when we are disciplining... are we ranting? Are we (with a good heart) addressing issues that are too big for their age? Do they just tune us out because we talk too much? Chattering, even with the best intentions can be ineffective. This really stuck out to me too...
Chattering leads to gossiping as well...

Candice said...

Vs 18- He who conceals his hatred has lying lips, and whoever spreads slander is a fool.

I hold onto hatred for a couple people in my life. I am aloof when I see them. I only say negative things of them. If I conceal my hatred I am pretending it isn't there thinking that then it's ok. Wrong! I am a lier! Hatred leads to slander/gossip. There is no room in my heart for hatred if the Lord is the Lord of my life! I must confess and repent and allow Him to teach me how to not hate. All my hate is judgement upon them believing I am God!
Forgive me Lord, I am a sinner in need of radical salvation. Cleanse me and purge the hatred out of my soul. You alone are God! You judge with right motive and scales. Blessed be Your name!