August 21, 2009

Proverbs 21

3 To do what is right and just is more acceptable to the LORD than sacrifice.

I've caught myself many times lately telling Timothy, "I'm glad you're apologizing, but what I want is for you to obey the first time!"

4 Haughty eyes and a proud heart, the lamp of the wicked, are sin!

Webster's definition of haughty is blatantly & disdainfully prideful. When I think of "wicked", I think of witches and dark things you see on Halloween. Pride isn't the first thing that pops into my head!

5 The plans of the diligent lead to profit as surely as haste leads to poverty.

Oh, that's an interesting contrast. Diligence vs haste.

21 He who pursues righteousness and love finds life, prosperity,c]"> and honor.

Matthew 6:33, right? But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.

23 He who guards his mouth and his tongue keeps himself from calamity.

I guess the flip coin of that is whoever does NOT guard his mouth or tongue DOES NOT keep himself from calamity.

29 A wicked man puts up a bold front, but an upright man gives thought to his ways.

Isn't this ironic? We think that if we can be really bold and confident in our sinning that it justifies it. And again, I love that an upright man actually considers what he is doing.

30 There is no wisdom, no insight, no plan that can succeed against the LORD.

Awesome!

3 comments:

Candice said...

vs 9- Better to live on a corner of the roof than share a house with a quarrelsome wife.

I was confessing to my husband last night that I don't want to be a quarrelsome wife. Do I say things in strife? To hurt him? Am I being content? Only coming to him in love and gentleness?

vs 16- A man who strays from the path of understanding comes to rest in the company of the dead.

I have strayed so many times. I then find myself only hanging out with non believers. Dangerous!

vs 28- A false witness will perish, and whoever listens to him will be destroyed forever.

Who am I listening to? Can my source be trusted?

vs 30- There is no wisdom, no insight, no plan that can succeed against the Lord.

Praise you Jesus! I am at your mercy. Woe is me without you! I am so thankful that the Lord has called me to himself and this says NOTHING that can succeed against that! Eternal security!!

Father, I thank you for your overwhelming love for me. You say that You SO loved the world that you gave your 1 and only son that whosoever believes in him shall not perish but have everlasting life. We have past from death into life. Because of who you are we are never to pass back over into death. Lord train me and discipline me by your word. Give me a gentle spirit with my husband and children. May I be diligent to keep on the path of understanding. That I would not take my counsel from false witnesses who do not know you. I praise you for who you are...unmovable! Only because you are you I am saved! Amen

Stephanie Kay said...

We are also having 1st time obedience issues. I know some of it is my fault. I've trained them that they don't have to obey until I start yelling. So I am working at being more engaged with what I'm asking and checking on their obedience.

The other day I explained to Will that whether he stayed still and quiet during rest time wasn't as much the issue as that he obey me when I tell him to stay still and quiet. I tell him things for his good and he needs to trust me.

I also explained that obeying me (and daddy) is practice for when he is older and is obeying God. If first time obedience becomes a habit towards me then he will already have the discipline (or default) to obey God.

Another idea (from my friend Amy) that we are using with a little success. Is a positive reinforcement. We made a chart and when they obey the first time with a pleasant attitude and a "yes, ma'am" then they get a mark on the chart. When the chart is full they get a new book (already bought). This helps make them and ME aware of their obedience.

Alicia said...

Steph, I know what you mean. I don't want to have to have crossed over to "the tone" to get my kids to mind me!

It hasn't been until teaching Timothy that I've realized hos so much obedience is based on trust. Sometimes I don't have time to explain to T why I'm telling him to do something. And now I realize that's what I do with God. Instead of just simple obedience I try to figure out why something would be important.