August 11, 2009

Proverbs Chapter 11

I was broken by verses 9 and 12...

With his mouth the godless destroys his neighbor, but through knowledge the righteous escape.

A man who lacks judgment derides his neighbor, but a man of understanding holds his tongue.

According to this, I have been godless and lack judgment. Living in various apartments and military housing, I have taken multiple opportunities to say negative, derogatory things about my neighbors. I am so sorry I have done this. How evil, how cruel of me. No one hearing those words would have ever thought I could be loving. And there isn't any way I was loving my neighbor. I repented when I read it, but now I have to choose in the future not to do it again.

In light of this, verse 16 was especially poignant to me...

A kindhearted woman gains respect, but ruthless men gain only wealth.

My children have heard all the awful things I've said. Oh, I'm sick. I don't want to start "sounding" nice in front of them just so they don't hear the wrong things. I want to genuinely repent and act differently, so that I am kindhearted from the inside out. My children will see the overflow and respect me.

4 comments:

The Navy Christian said...

Your comments in this post give evidence to the working of verse 2 in your life:

When pride comes, then comes disgrace, but with humility comes wisdom.

Your wisdom is growing daily!

Anonymous said...

Vs. 3- The integrity of the upright guides them, but the unfaithful are destroyed by their duplicity.

This is so true in my life. I am reminded of the saying "insanity is doing the same thing over and over expecting a different outcome". I have done the wrong thing so many times hoping this time I get it right.
Father, change my heart of unfaithfulness. Teach me and guide me to be a woman of faithful integrity! Amen.

Candice

Natasha said...

I LOVE doing this with you because God speaks to me as I read it and then I read yours and He speaks to me some more!!!! Keith & I have both been guilty of these. We tend to be judgmental and mean. Our children have heard us. I am going to talk with Keith about it tonight, pray for forgiveness and work on changing this weak flaw in my character!

Alicia said...

Natasha & Candice,

I love hearing what you are learning! Awesome stuff-thank you for posting!