March 11, 2009

Sailor's Perspective: Hong Kong IBC

Cheaper Than Therapy

If you missed Dan's first article about Hong Kong, click here and here.

I know this picture may not immediately say much to you, but it speaks volumes to me. Dan and I met when he was stationed in Japan, and I was working in Guam. One of the first things that drew me to him was the fact that he loved to visit missionaries and pastors in each port he visited. In fact, come to think of it, if he hadn't been in that habit I never would have met him. Here he is 10 years later continuing this activity that he cherishes, but I'll let him tell you...

On my last day in port Hong Kong, some friends and I met up with Nathan Loudin from the International Baptist Church-Hong Kong. It has always been a tradition of mine to meet up with missionaries, pastors, or Christians in the ports I visit to learn from them or encourage them in their work. So often, as you might expect, I am the one who receives encouragement!

Nathan has been the mission's pastor at IBC-HK for almost a year now and has begun filling some of the pastoral roles as well. What fascinates me most about the church right now is the ministry to a little-reached country in Southeast Asia. My heart has always been in missions and to hear how Nathan and IBC-HK are reaching out in a very hostile (to the Word of God) part of the world leaves me in awe.

As HK continues to be assimilated into mainstream Chinese culture and life, the churches in the tolerant Hong Kong find themselves in great positions to reach the lost in the rest of China, or to at least help the Christians in China as they reach out as well. I'm happy to hear that IBC-HK is working hard in this area as well.

It has been almost ten years since I've visited IBC-HK and it was such a joy to be with one of their staff again. I have committed to pray for Nathan and the ministry of the church body, and I invite you to as well.

For more pictures worth a thousand words, go to Thousand Word Thursday!

9 comments:

Marc and Charity said...

That is very cool! Being an "m", I know how encouraging that can be, I think that is great he does that!

Bree Shaw said...

awesome! happy atwt!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful to read this. I have a couple of Christian friends in HK. I've never been there to visit them, though. I knew William when he came to the UK to study for a Civil Engineering degree. I could have put you in touch! :)

Gena said...

That is great that he is continuing his passion 10 years later!

Andrea Frederick said...

Great story....

April said...

I really enjoyed your story....Happy ATWT!

Mrs4444 said...

I'm sure the missionaries he visits appreciate his visits very much!

Stephanie Kay said...

That is so neat!! I love that he visits the m's in Asia. ;)

The Mom Jen said...

I love the story behind the shot, that makes it so memorable and important in the grand scheme! Thanks for joining in!