March 6, 2009

Celebrate Your Name Week!


I read over on Katey's blog that the first week of March is Celebrate Your Name Week, and I just had to learn more about it. Well, each day focuses on something different. There are only 3 more days remaining, and today's and tomorrow's are:

March 6 - Nametag Day: Celebrate your name by wearing it proudly! (Not necessarily suggested for unsupervised children.)

March 7 - Middle Name Pride Day: Today’s name celebration requires honesty and boldness. Tell three people who don’t already know it, what your middle name is.

I've decided to combine these two days and put my middle name on a virtual nametag! I'm thinking I've worn enough church nametags into restaurants to count Nametag Day, and I'm hoping that by putting my middle name, GWEN, on my blog that 3 people who have never known it will learn it!

Definition of GWEN: From Welsh gwen, the feminine form of gwyn meaning "white, fair, blessed".

My middle name is fine. I don't hate it, but I don't know if I love it either. I don't think I was given "Gwen" for the meaning, but I am definitely white & fair, and extremely blessed! I'm from Irish descent (as you'll hear more about later this month), but I think the fact that this is a Welsh name is coincidental. Most people probably know my middle name more than usual because it's in my email address.

What is your middle name? Please share!

7 comments:

Shayna said...

I love the name Gwen! I'm a little infatuated with things Welsh right now, but I've always liked "Gwen." :)

My middle name is Rachel, which means "lamb." My parents wanted biblical names for me and my brother as our middle names. I like it fine, and in fact since my first name was unusual, if I ever wanted to buy any of those "name" trinkets like pencils or little bicycle nameplates, I always had to go with Rachel.

Stephanie said...

I have always loved the name Gweneth ... so very feminine and girly. The definition would definitely fit with the little girls in our family as they are all very fair & white ... and WE are so blessed. :)

Stephanie Kay said...

I've always like Alicia Gwen (as well as Shayna Rachel, hey! where's Sheila Kay?!) ;)

I should tell Shayna Samuel's middle name is Rees. Welsh. It means intensity, zeal, ardor, enthusiasm. Which is funny to me because he is my most laid back child!

Oh, and my middle name is Linda. It's my mom's first name. I like that it's a family name. I would say I love it or hate it.

Mary May Larmoyeux said...

"Celebrate Your Name" -- what a fun idea ... and a great reminder to write down the meaning of our name for our kids and grandkids.

Evelyn Yvonne Theriault said...

And it's short for one of the most beautiful medieval names - Guinevere (think of Camelot).
I wonder if she was supposedly Welsh?
Evelyn in Montreal

Froggymama said...

I love the name Gwen and even considered it for Froggy.

My middle name is Katherine. And last week I met someone with the same first and middle name!

Unknown said...

Evangeline...means bringing good news.
My first name, Rona, means promise or small oath.