January 13, 2009

Children's Classics: Olivia



Olivia is coming to the small screen! Yes, that's right. Starting Jan 26th, Olivia is going to be on the regular lineup of Nick Jr. Published in 2000, it may not technically be a classic yet, but it is definitely a future classic! It is a Caldecott honor book, and since it's coming to Nick Jr I thought it would be a good reminder for anyone who hasn't read the books. The nice thing about it coming to television is that an entire population of kids who may have never read the books will be exposed to it!

Olivia is a little female pig who has a mom, a dad, a younger brother, a dog, and a cat. She is full of personality, has tons of energy and curiosity, and "is good at lots of things". Ian Falconer, the author, is a painter and brings his appreciation of art to the books. Olivia visits a museum and after seeing a Jason Pollock thinks, "I can do that," and goes home and does it! There are 10 books that I know of now, so I'll actually be interested to see how this translates to television. I'm sure it will be cute, but will we be watching the same 5 episodes over and over?

Olivia has a great website with tons of activities, so click here for that. I do think Olivia falls into the "Oh yes, I've heard of that" category that defines a Children's Classic. However, if you haven't had a chance to be introduced to this precious pig and her imaginative ways, check these books out at your next stop to your local library! For more Children's Classics, head on over to 5 Minutes For Books!

7 comments:

Leya said...

My son loved Olivia books when he was a toddler. I think his favorite was a counting book. I think it was because it mentioned her aunts, and he thought it was funny...something along the lines of having "ants" that were pigs. I have to dig that book out, my nephew would love it.

Stephanie said...

I think we've only read one of the Olivia books - I didn't realize there were so many in the series! I need to revisit those with her - thanks for the reminder. :)

Anonymous said...

I didn't realize it was coming to televison. I am going to check these books out to read to my daughter now!

Stephanie Kay said...

I've never read Olivia. Ellie seems to enjoy Piggy books so I'll have to look for this one at the library.

Margot said...

My granddaughter love the Olivia books. Thanks for letting us know about her TV debut. We'll be watching.

Unknown said...

I had seen something about it being on TV, and yes I'm sure for a while you will be watching the same few over and over again, LOL. Such is preschool TV.

If you want to write it up for Books on Screen in Feb, that would be cool.

Unknown said...

I had seen something about it being on TV, and yes I'm sure for a while you will be watching the same few over and over again, LOL. Such is preschool TV.

If you want to write it up for Books on Screen in Feb, that would be cool.