January 20, 2009

Kids' Picks: Madam President


Mom: Timothy, tomorrow is the inauguration of President Elect Barack Obama. Do want to read Madam President?

Timothy: Oh yes, yes, yes, alright, yes!!!!



Author and Illustrator: Lane Smith
Copyrighted: 2008 (I don't think we've ever read a book this new!)
Publisher: www.hyperionbooksforchildren.com
Author website: www.lanesmithbooks.com

A government-themed book seemed appropriate for today, but how many of those could I find that would actually be a Kid's Pick? Well, this one sure is! We may even have to own this story of a little girl who is President of her own world. She has executive orders to give, babies to kiss, and school lunches to veto. Timothy's favorite page is President Katy's cabinet members, which include Mr. Potato Head for the Secretary of Agriculture and a piggy bank for the Secretary of the Treasury.

I'm slowly being introduced to children's literature, but you will know Lane Smith from James and the Giant Peach & The True Story of the 3 Little Pigs. The "feel" of the book reminded me of Mo Willems, so I giggled when I found this. With President's Day just around the corner, this would be a simple and enjoyable way to introduce government concepts to 4-8 year olds. Both Washington and Lincoln are spotted in the book in various ways. And for any of you homeschooling moms, the publisher has this 9 page "Event Kit" which looks like a ready made lesson plan to me!

For more Kids' Picks, visit 5 Minutes for Books.

7 comments:

Stephanie Kay said...

I like the format for this post. Very reader friendly. Did you know Hasbro, the makers of Mr. Potato Head, is based in RI? Several years ago they did a tourist thing and now there are giant Potato Heads scattered around the state. Just a bit in meaningless trivia for you.

Alicia said...

Steph, that's really funny. I like this format, too. I liked it when you did it (or something very similar). I just always love the author's websites, and I want those to stand out. In the future I may even put things like the "Event Kit" up at the top for easy viewing as well.

Carrie said...

Timothy sounds just a wee bit excited there. ;D Timely mention of this book too! THanks for sharing about the book.

Unknown said...

Sounds really fun!

Jenn said...

I love your kid...I'll have to look for the book.

Stephanie said...

I'll have to check that one out!

The Wristen Family said...

My favorite government book is "Duck becomes President". It is by the same woman who wrote "Click Clack Moo: Cows that Type" (which is great on explaining the way unions work but in a fun way) I can't remember her name right now but just google the title. Caedmon likes the repition and the rhymes. I like that it teaches something important about our country.