January 2, 2009

Blogging New Year's Resolutions

I loved this article Stephanie told me about over at Blissfully Domestic. I've been planning on making some changes to my blog, and we might as well call them resolutions!! It will be fun to look back in a year and see what all I accomplished (and of course what I didn't). So in 2009, my blog will...

Have one design the entire year. In 2008 instead of rearranging furniture, I just changed my blog template every couple of months! I should have tracked how many times, but I really got crazy around the holidays.

Keep my Google Reader in check. I've been doing a lot of behind the scenes work on my blog, and the thing that suffers is reading others' blogs. As I type this my Reader is back up to 363. It's ridiculous. Somehow I need to delete some blogs in my Reader. Just for CF, I have 50+ blogs. How in the world do I decide which ones to get rid of?

Write more about Cystic Fibrosis. A year ago I said I would write once a month on CF. That seems like nothing now! I'll be writing at least once a week on CF and doing much, much more to promote awareness for this cause. More on that in the near future.

Read and review books consistently. Reading was a passion of mine years ago. Once I got married, it was all about marriage books. Boy that topic gets old. Then when I became a mom, everything narrowed down to parenting books. Ugh, those things are depressing! Every once in a while there's a little morsel that helps, but generally I find they either make us feel more defeated or never address the very specific needs we have (in our case, CF & SPD). One of the biggest surprises I've had in the blogging world is returning to my joy of reading.

Develop a military network. I've barely posted about our military life, but with the looming deployment it's about to hit me in full swing. I'm blessed to have met CFers who are military wives, but at this point I've only found less than 5 blogs that relate to being a Christian military wife. This is the biggest area of need for me and my blog, so if you know anyone in this category please leave me their blog in the comments!

Communicate with my non-blogging friends. I have many, many friends who just don't want to build relationships through blogging. I can respect that. Because I blog about my life these days, I rarely send those global emails any more that give updates with pictures and Samantha's CF status. In 2009, I want to return to doing that because I love those friends (um, and family). And I'm sure they want to hear from me just as much as I want them to check my blog.

I'll close with saying that I would always want my life and blog to reflect the love of Christ. This isn't a resolution since I can't set a goal to be "more reflective". But what I hope and pray is that I am continually letting go more and more of myself so that eventually He is the one seen. He's worth knowing intimately.

4 comments:

Chatty Family said...

I have had your blog on my reader for a while now. I am just not good at leaving comments! Reading your experiences have been comforting as a fellow CF mom. I have not been very involved in the online CF community. Denial, I guess. I always feel better after reading other's stories, less isolated. So, maybe I should just jump in and stop lurking :) Wishing your family a HEALTHY New Year!

Lil' Chris' Mom said...

Great post! I esp like the part about talking more about CF instead of just once a month. What can I say...I'm a starving CF mom and I'm hungry for any info I can get on CF:)
M

Stephanie Kay said...

Great list!! Hopefully I'll have one put together for next week.

Stephanie said...

This post caught my eye and I'm a sucker for a resolution post ... :) I saw that you were looking for military wives' blogs and I thought I would leave you a link for my friend Pattie. Her husband is a Chaplain with the Air Force(?) and she writes for a military wives' blog. Her blog is here: http://www.xanga.com/pattierwr and she writes for Wives of Faith: http://www.wivesoffaith.org/. Hope those links help. She is GREAT!